12/17/2017

Today we continued to work on our research paper and started to brain storm what the poster would look like. It was a nice day to reflect on the data that we collected and how to interrupt the results. Personally, I feel that specifically that is the most difficult task when conducting scientific research. I don’t believe that strict knowledge in the field or even strict knowledge in the lab is beneficial, I believe a great researcher is well rounded in both areas. In regards to mentorship, I really enjoyed working with my crew and helping my partner put together our project.


12/18/2017

As crunch time is coming closer, we continued to grind on our paper. We originally planned on going out and spending time in town today, but instead we all watched a movie together (Movie Night)!! It was nice to get to take time away from being in the rainforest and settle down with the crew! I see a lot of good things coming out the crew and their particular research projects. I am really blown away at the amazing dynamic of the mentors. I have learned a little something from all of them as well as shared a laugh with them all.  Today, we took a break with Mike (our mentor) and he showed us some really awesome flowers (Orchids) which he had strong feelings about them being on the black market and how we couldn’t find very many of them out in the forest because of the smugglers. Really quite sad actually, humans ruin everything great! Additionally, we made progress on our poster, KIM dove right in, and I’m glad to really wanted to enrich herself in the research culture. Honestly, being in more of a mentor role has been very different from what I am used to. I am used to be more a “bulldog” in my research and diving right in and submerging myself in the science behind my hypothesis. This time, I was able to guide one of my colleague’s through the same process and what better way to learn than to dive right in, right?

12/19/2017

Today it seemed to be a little chillier than usual! I didn’t get to go out to the forest today L, but we finished our draft today and was able to sit down with Rebecca, the director of OTS (office of tropical studies) and review our paper. She had some really good recommendations for our paper, and it is always nice to have another set of eyes review your work and be able to incorporate those ideas into the next draft! I have received some really encouraging comments and I am glad I got to work with Mike. He is really passionate about his work with plants and I love working with those types of people!!! Additionally, the crew went out to PIZZA in San Vito! Which to say the least was “BOMB.com!” After pizza we all went back to the lab to work on our posters, given that we had worked on it the night before, we were a little more ahead than everyone else. WE worked on it for about a half hour and called it a night. originally wanting to have another movie night, but we all fell asleep before that ever happened.  To end the night, I was reflecting on my family and I really wish they were able to see the amazing rainforest and everything that COSTA RICA has to offer, I really think they would enjoy it, other than the bugs of course. No shame, but those bugs definitely got to me!!!

12/20/2017
To start the day, we polished up our poster by 10:30 and decided it would be of the best interest to go and take a NAP!!! (bahahah best interest). After we took our nap we had lunch and I decided it would be best if KIM went over the poster so she was familiar with what was on the poster so that our presentation today would go smoothly….or as smooth as possible. Upon, reflection of the entire project I am beyond thankful I was able to participate in this experience, and think this experience directly benefits me in regards to the next steps of my career à my path to my Ph.D. Its not a dream, it’s a goal that I intend to achieve by the time I turn 28! I like t stay optimistic!

12/21/2017
What a long day!!! We are headed back to civilization todayà San Jose! The group decided to take a different route back to San jose and we visited the highest point (elevation) in costa rica!!! From the 80 degrees weather we were in, to this COLD (muy frio) was a good shock!!! I think my Spanish is getting better. Lol which is sad, considering half my family speaks Spanish and then there is me. WE got back to the hotel around 430 and met up at dennys for dinner at 530!!! Dinner was bomb—it was nice to have a change from rice and beans to AMERICAN food!!! Greasy, unhealthy, and overproportioned!! To end the night, the crew all went out one last night in San jose and spent the night together adventuring and enjoying each others company!! Saying our good byes was bittersweet! But I think we will all se eachother again!

12/22/17

HOME!!!! I am coming home!!!! We have a total of 9 hours in layovers, but at least we made it into the states!!! Immigration and customs is so intimidating!!! They make you feel like you have done something illegal but your easy legal as it gets! Lol anyways, I am glad to be coming home for Christmas and to see my many family members.

I just want to give a shout out to all our mentors:

Jessica, Mike, Jason, Pedro, && A-A-ron (aaron)

Other staff: Monette, and Brain-who filed and photographed every second

Also can’t forget the students, it was a pleasure to get to know everyone!!! Do your thing, get that degree, contribute to bridging the gap between westernized science and indigenous knowledge!!!

Students:
Zane, Austin, Brett, Will, Kimberly, Kim, Morningstar, Robyn, Jula, & Trent
Twas a great experience with some great people! I wish everyone the best in their endeavors.


Corbin-----Out!

Feliz Navidad!


Pura Vida!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog